My family

My family

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Migraines suck

Migraines suck! 

That is the understatement of the year.  You would think that, after living with them since the 1980's, I would be used to them.  Nope......not even close!

I went to the dentist a few weeks with a toothache.  The dentist thought I needed a root canal redone - joy! - so he sent me to an endodontist.  After the endodontist took x-rays, he determined that I was dealing with a sinus infection instead.  Antibiotics were prescribed but it was too little too late.  Everything went to Hell in a hurry. 

That damn sinus infection led to one of the worst migraines I've ever had; TWO migraines in fact. 

After taking antibiotics from Thursday - Sunday, I woke up Monday thinking I could power through the work day.  I made it until lunch time then had to call it quits.  I ended up in the emergency room Monday night.  After a few hours, my pain went from 9 (on a scale of 10) to a 3.......enough progress to send me home to sleep it off.  Sixteen hours later, I was back in the emergency room and we had to start over again. 


Nine days after that ER visit, this is what my arms look like.  On average, it takes about 4-5 tries for a nurse to hook up an IV for meds.  Seriously......I look like I've been beaten with an ugly-stick. 


In the end, I missed 2.5 days of work AND slept for no less than 12 hours every day since then.  All I can say is THANK GOD FOR MY HUSBAND!  For a while there, I didn't know what day it was or how to spell my name. 

All because of a sinus infection. 

Through this entire ordeal, I keep thinking about the people who have it much worse off than I do.  I'm trying to be thankful that this is my only health issue.  So.......this week it was back to the neurologist to adjust my "game plan".  We will continue to do the Botox injections every 12 weeks (35-40 injections all over my head/neck/shoulders/upper back) and keep adjusting the recipe of meds for maximum relief. 

Stay tuned for more details. 





2 comments:

  1. Don't sell yourself short. Migraines are the worst. It gets to the point where you just want to chop.your head off. Your a strong woman and I admire the way you handle those horrific migtaines

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't sell yourself short. Migraines are the worst. It gets to the point where you just want to chop.your head off. Your a strong woman and I admire the way you handle those horrific migtaines

    ReplyDelete