My family

My family

Thursday, June 16, 2016

Joey + Rory

Have you ever read a book or followed a story in the news and found yourself thinking about the people involved as you went about your day?

For me, the story I just couldn’t shake was about Rory and Joey Feek


I first fell in love with the husband and wife duo when they appeared on the show Can You Duet in 2008.   The winner of the show was awarded a record deal. 


Maybe it was because I was experiencing an all-consuming love at the time (Jim and I were married just a few months after the show aired) but I could not take my eyes off this couple.

Rory – a true country boy who dressed in overalls – sang backup to his wife while playing acoustic guitar.  His beautiful wife, Joey, seemed to shine from the inside out. 



When they looked at each other, you could feel the love they shared.  It sounds corny and I’m probably not explaining it very well.  All I know is that I was hooked!

Not long after the show, they became pretty successful in the country music world. 



Fast forward to January 2014….. 

Rory & Joey decided to put their music career on hold to focus on the baby that was due that year. 





That’s when Rory started recording the everyday moments of their lives and writing about them on his blog.



Little did they know that not long after their baby was born, Joey would diagnosed with terminal cancer.



Rory’s blog chronicles their struggles during Joey’s battle with cancer and ultimately their grief upon her passing. 

The blog is so much more though. 

The way Rory paints the picture for you is incredibly moving. 

He shares video snippets of their life, photos of their special moments and encouragement from his faith in God. 


The latest blog post was written on Joey & Rory’s anniversary.  Check it out…….I dare you not to cry your eyes out. 

What I love the most about this blog is that Rory is so open about his faith.  He started filming their life a few years ago because he felt led to do it.  He didn’t know what would ever come of the footage but he did what God told him to do. 

Who hasn’t felt that same exact thing at one point or another? 

Now, several months after Joey’s death, all that footage is being turned into a movie that will play in theaters one night only (on Joey’s birthday) in September. 



Although this is such a tragic love story, I hope you can find inspiration in it like I have. 

God has a plan for you.  You might not know what it is now, or tomorrow, or next week.  But there is a plan. 

I hope Rory’s story inspires you to keep the faith.




No comments:

Post a Comment