My family

My family

Friday, April 7, 2017

Lucky Mama

After spending this past weekend in Texas, it got me thinking about what a lucky mama I am.
 
 
I was running errands at lunch today and a song came on that took me right back to the day Garrett was born. 
 
I’ll never forget that day as long as I live. 
 
We waited to find out the gender of the baby (both times!) but, Lord have mercy, we prayed so hard for a little boy. 
 
I never would have imagined that God would pick THIS little boy would be ours forever. 
 
After a long day of labor, the doctors finally decided to do a c-section to bring Garrett into the world.
 
I woke up from the anesthesia and my mom and Garrett’s dad were in the room.  When they told me we had a little boy, I replied “WE DID IT!!”   

My mom heard those words and immediately started crying happy tears.  It had been a difficult labor and I think she was overcome with emotion that her daughter and grand baby were out of danger. 

 
We really wanted the kids to be two years apart.  Just close enough to be buddies but far enough apart for the younger one to have a big brother.
 
God had different plans.
 
Delanie came into the world four years and three months after Garrett.
 
Again, we prayed so hard for a little girl to complete our family.  How lucky we felt when God gave us THIS independent little girl full of spunk and sass. 
 
Delanie’s labor was much easier than Garrett’s……no c-section needed this time!
 
It was so important to me for our kids to fall in love with each other.  I remember putting this six pound little girl into her big brother’s arms only hours after she came into the world. 
 
She immediately stopped crying and wrapped her tiny fingers around his thumb. 
 
 
(Click here to hear/watch the video.)
 
Music is so cathartic for me.  It reminds me of good days and soothes me on rough days.
 
The words I heard at lunch today brought a few happy tears of my own to the surface……
 
        Be strong in the Lord and never give up hope.
        You’re going to do great things, I already know!
        God’s got His hand on you so don’t live life in fear.
        Forgive and forget, but don’t forget why you’re here.
        Take your time and pray. 
        These are the words I would say.
 
 
(Click here to hear/watch the video.)
 
It’s funny…….I raised both of my kiddos the exact same way but they could not have turned out any more different.
 
This song pretty much sums up the most important things I wanted to teach Garrett and Delanie.
 
        Hold the door.
        Say please and thank you”.
        Don’t steal, don’t cheat and don’t lie. 
        Don’t take for granted the love this life gives you.
        When you get where you’re going, turn back around and help the next one in line.
        Always stay humble and kind.
 
 
(Click here to hear/watch the video.)
 
When both kids were fussy as babies, this is the song I would put on the radio.  I can still remember waltzing around the house with them in my arms when they were teething or sick.
 

(Click here to hear/watch the video.)
 
Now that Garrett is planning a wedding and Delanie is going off to college, this song is the one I think of when I’m trying to find the words for them to take with them.
 
        I’ve seen dreams that move the mountains.
        Hope that doesn’t ever end, even when the sky is falling.
        I’ve seen miracles just happen.
        Silent prayers get answered.
        Broken hearts become brand new.
        That’s what faith can do. 
 

(Click here to hear/watch the video.)
 
…..and this one to get them through any dark days they may have.
 
        No matter the bumps.  No matter the bruises.
        No matter the scars, still the truth is the cross has made you flawless.
        No matter the hurt or how deep the wound is.
        No matter the pain, still the truth is the cross has made you flawless.
 
 
Garrett and Delanie……I’m so lucky to be your mama!!
 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment