My family

My family

Monday, January 27, 2014

Winter Carnival 2014

Denise is back in Minnesota!!! :) 

After picking her up at the airport, we headed downtown to catch this year's Winter Carnival.  Remember when Delanie and I braved the three-degree weather last year?!)  It wasn't much warmer this year.  Poor Denise thought I was joking when I told her it would be close to zero.  :)

 
The Winter Carnival is held every year in Saint Paul's Rice Park.  My favorite building - Landmark Plaza - overlooks Rice Park.  It looks like a castle with it's colored peaks.  
 
 
The ice artists were just finishing up the sculptures when we walked through the park.  It's amazing to think they use chainsaws, cheese graters and hand saws to carve these intricate scenes. 



Each year, Wells Fargo sponsors an outdoor skating rink.  Never one to back down from a challenge, we signed up to join the fun! :)  Let me tell you.....Denise is a much better skater than I am.  As I hugged the outside walls for support, Denise was flying around the ice like a pro.
 

Notice anything funny about this photo?  Yep, Denise skated the whole time with her purse!!  She just bought a new Coach purse and didn't want to leave it unattended (even in Minnesota).  I told her she reminded me of the church lady from Saturday Night Live.  Can you see it??? 

 
She also got a kick out of the Peanuts sculptures.  Schroeder - the one below with Lucy - is my favorite.  He's a piano playing fool!  :)
 
 
Our last stop was the snow sculpture competition at the Minnesota State Fairgrounds.  Did I mention just how COLD it was out there?  With no buildings to block the wind (like in Rice Park), we were at Mother Nature's mercy.  Needless to say, we did not take a leisurely stroll through the fairgrounds.  :)



It took quite a while - and lots of hot chocolate - for us to thaw out.  Overall, it was a great day!  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment