My family

My family

Thursday, April 28, 2016

MS Walk 2016

Texas – Day Four
 
The reason for my trip south of the Mason-Dixon Line had finally arrived…….MS Walk 2016!!


We all donned our yellow Team Bea t-shirts and headed to Addison, TX to celebrate another year of Charlene kicking MS to the curb. 










 

My sister is a warrior. 
 
There’s no other way to describe it. 
 
She has faced this debilitating disease head-on for almost twenty years and still finds a reason to smile every single day. 
 
It doesn’t matter how many fun things we have packed into this weekend, the MS Walk is the main event. 
 

See that picture???  That’s one of the toughest people I know. 

 

 
Garrett, Maci and Maci’s parents brought their dogs to the walk.  Just like in years past, the walk is incredibly emotional.  We walk at Charlene’s pace but she is always the first to cross the finish line. 



 

Charlene ordered balloons for us all to carry during the 5k.  She wanted to release them at the end so Mom could celebrate with us. 
 


 
By the time we all met up at Cotton Patch Café, Charlene was completely wiped out.  She ordered a cheeseburger and was fighting to stay awake long enough to eat it.  I sat there watching her fall asleep in her chair and thought to myself:  Mom would be so proud. 
 



 
Then I looked to my left and found my sweet baby boy watching the hockey game.  Hahaha!!  There is never a dull moment with this group. J

 

After lunch, Bill took Charlene home to crawl into bed while Garrett, Maci,  Lauren, Tracey and I went to the movies to see Melissa McCarthy in “The Boss”.  I love going to the movies.  Evidently I’ve passed that love down to Garrett too. 

 
 
I couldn’t believe it was already the last night of my trip!  It’s never long enough. 
 
Saturday night, we met Denise - my best friend since 2nd grade – and her mom for dinner at On The Border.  A trip to Texas would not be complete without a little lot of Tex-Mex.
 
It might be six months or a year since the last time Denise and I have seen each other but we always seem to settle back into the same routing.  There are always lots of chatting and laughing when we get together. 
 
The night ended with one last tight squeeze from my kiddo.  There’s nothing more bitter-sweet than that last hug from Garrett. 
 


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment