My family

My family

Thursday, November 24, 2016

Come as you are


For the past few years, I've kinda dreaded Thanksgiving.  

I always felt so far from home and couldn't bring myself to make Mama's dressing or Tracey's PawPaw Pie.  

It just didn't feel right.

Jesus and I have had a lot of conversations over the past few years about this.  

Then the most awesome thing happened when I woke up this morning.  

I felt alive.  Free.  Happy.  And most of all Thankful.


Don't get me wrong, I miss the stuffing out of my family (see what I did there?!) but today it feels right to honor the family traditions.  It feels good to think about each person as I'm cooking my version of Thanksgiving dinner.

I'm thinking of my mama as I make her cornbread dressing.  


I'm thinking about Bill as I wipe down the counters.  Bill is my spirit animal when it comes to a clean kitchen.  

I'm thinking of Tracey as I try to recreate her PawPie Pie.  If it turns out half as good as hers, I'll consider it a win.


I'm thinking of Lauren as I'm on Pinterest looking for fudge recipes.  Watch out Raymond.....next year the Fudge Trophy is mine!

I'm thinking of Little David (far from "little" these days) as he celebrates his birthday week.

I'm thinking of Delanie as she travels to Texas to spend time with the Albaugh family.  Will her vegetarian heart have enough to eat today?


I'm thinking of Garrett as he's picking up Maci to head to dinner.  He's a trooper because I know he'd much rather be playing video games on his couch in his loose-fitting athletic shorts.

I'm thinking of Doug and wondering if he's wearing the green sweater that "brings out his eyes".  


I'm thinking about Bea and praying today is a good day for her.  I'm wishing I could hear her laughter and cuddle up on her couch under my favorite blanket.

I'm thinking of my dad as he tries to carve out a life in Alabama.  I wonder if he talks to Mom today while making chocolate gravy in his kitchen decorated with her Chi Chi chefs.  

I'm think of Denise as this song plays in the background.  It seems so appropriate for today.  


Click here to listen:      Come As You Are


I'm starting a new tradition today by putting up the Christmas decorations.  

Scandalous ......I know! 😉


Happy Thanksgiving!  I love you guys!! 💛




No comments:

Post a Comment