My family

My family

Thursday, July 18, 2013

Texas vs. Minnesota

It's always so interesting to me to see the differences between Texas and Minnesota.  While we love it up here, there are definitely some things we miss about the South....

  • Family (duh!)
  • Chik-fil-a
  • Men in cowboy hats (ok, that's just me.......thankfully this does nothing for Jim)
  • Tinted windows (three weeks after our move, the sheriff pulled me over because my windows were too dark;  it was either remove the tent or pay the fine)
  • Tex Mex
  • Hobby Lobby
  • Doughnut shops (if you want doughnuts up here, you have to drive to the grocery store)
  • Snow cone stands  (that used to be a weekly trip for me and the kids during the Summer)


Then what's so great about Minnesota, you ask?? 

SNOW!! :)

 
The "weeds" in my back yard




Eating outside

 
Traffic signs (the arrows on this one actually light up and blink when there is oncoming traffic)


Hydrangeas - one of my favorites (second only to tulips);  these beauties are growing on the side of our home


The view from my back door

 
The colors of Fall

 
Gardening

 
Wildlife


 
Even more interesting is the different pronunciations of words, phrases, etc.  Don't get me wrong, I can whip out a "y'all" with the best of them! :)  I even get a few chuckles when a "bless your heart" comes out. 

Here are some Minnasota-isms.....

  • Bye bye now - this is the sign off for phone calls
  • Megazine - this is not a typo;  this is how Minnesotans pronounce "magazine"
  • Ya know?
  • Minnesooooota - pronouced like MinneSNOWta
  • Yep! - in the South this would be a "you're welcome"

It's surprising how contagious they are.  You would be shocked at the number of times I hear a "don't cha know" or "eh?" out of Jim!!  Needless to say, we are blending right in up here......and loving every minute of it.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment