My family

My family

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Bumper crop

I cannot believe how many tomatoes I'm getting off the plants this year!  By the time Labor Day came, we had picked about 50!  There were so many that we couldn't eat them fast enough.  So.....I tried my hand at canning (jarring?).
 
 
First, the tomatoes got a good scrub....

 
I love mason jars.  I just love them!  I use them for so many things around the house.....storage, scrapbooking supplies, etc.  Anyway, I digress. 

 
Next came the sterilization.  If you know anything about my husband, you will understand that this is the most important step.  I knew if I wanted Jim to come anywhere near these tomatoes, he was going to have to actually witness this process. 

 
Who knew peeling tomatoes was so easy?!  Scored them, boiled them and peeled them.......all in about 15 minutes. 


 
This is when Delanie walked into the kitchen.  Her first comment was, "oh man.....that is so gross!".  Hahaha, gotta love teenagers!


Next came the processing.  I have to admit I was a little scared of this.  There was tons of hissing and popping sounds.  I seriously thought the kitchen was going to explode. 

 
Voila.....done!  Out of about fifty tomatoes, I got eight jars of canned tomatoes.  They are going to be so yummy!!!  My granny would be proud.  :)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment