My family

My family

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Framed

Our latest home improvement project took place over the weekend in our master bathroom.  As you can see below, we had the standard builder-grade mirror put in when the house was built.  Because Jim cannot sit still for long, I convinced him to "finish out" the mirror.  :)
 
 
Since we always see these types of mirrors framed with wood, we thought we would try something different.  After several lengthy discussions, we finally settled on ceramic tile.  This is the close-up of the granite in our bathroom so we decided neutral was better. 

 
In my head, I had the frame pictured as a chocolate brown glass tile.  No luck.  First of all, Jim preferred the ceramic tile below.  Secondly, the glass tile had a white backing that would show in the mirror reflection.  There was no way I was going to convince my perfectionist husband to overlook the tiny-hardly-there-almost microscopic sliver of white showing behind the tiles.......... so I was overruled.
 
Jim - 1
Charlotte - 0
 

The most tedious part of the project was cleaning the tiles.  The glue binding the tiles to each other had to be hand-scraped.  Slowly but surely, Jim got it done.  (Yes, that is the football game in the background!)



 
Meanwhile back at the ranch, Bailey was supervising............and snoring!  :)

 
Have I mentioned that my husband occasionally shows OCD-like tendencies?!  Surely I've mentioned it a time or two.  Let me tell you that this project was no exception.  You would not believe the time we spent discussing how to adhere the tiles around the mirror brackets.  Jim finally agreed that "no one would know but us". 
 
Jim - 1
Charlotte - 1


So here's the final result.  Do you love it as much as me?! :) 

 
I have enabled the comments section below......let me know what you think. 

No comments:

Post a Comment