My family

My family

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Remembering 9/11

}}

I remember exactly where I was on September 11, 2001.....

I was killing time in the library of Grand Prairie High School during my conference period.  A colleague came out of the media section with tears streaming down her face and a look of pure panic on her face.  She had just watched the airplane hit the first tower and was trying frantically to call her daughter on her cell phone.  As it turns out, her daughter worked at the World Trade Center..... 41st floor. 

As my teaching friends and I huddled around her for support, we watched as the second tower was hit, the tower collapse, people jumping out the windows to their death and the utter and complete chaos that was New York City.  We all broke into tears when her cell phone rang and her daughter's voice came on the line. 

My mother was working in the attendance office at the time.  I couldn't believe what was happening and, although I was a grown woman, I made several trips from the library to her office.  I needed reassurance......I needed my mom.  She couldn't bear to watch the TV coverage and I couldn't bear to turn it off. 

I've never felt so vulnerable as that day ten years ago.  By the time the bell sounded to end the day, I had decided I wouldn not tell the kids about what happened.  How do you explain to a six and two year old that type of devastation?  So much for good intentions.....the second I picked Garrett up from 1st grade he asked, "Mom....why did the bad guys try to hurt us today?".

No comments:

Post a Comment