My family

My family

Monday, April 20, 2015

Beignets, pralines and a jackass

When the sun rose on Friday in New Orleans, Bea and I were just settling into adventure mode.  After sleeping in, we woke up hungry for some gumbo.  We headed straight for Mr. Ed's because......duh......they have the best gumbo and roast beef po boys of all time.  To tell you the truth, we ate there Friday AND Saturday.  When we strolled up, the doorman smiled at us and said, "welcome back ladies!"  Don't mind if we do......:)



That gumbo though......I could eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner.....then go back for a midnight snack.  Hell, I would be happy if I could bathe in the stuff.  Too much? 


The sun was shining, the tourists were out in force and we had a ball walking from shop to shop for goodies to take home.  What is an adventure without shopping??  After a few hours of hitting the boutiques, we caught a ride on a horse-drawn carriage for another mini-tour of the French Quarter. 


That cute donkey's name was Marie and she was so sweet!  When I reached out to pet her, the carriage driver shouted "are you trying to touch my ass??"  Get it.....donkey = jackass.  Kinda embarrassing but pretty dang funny. 


That's my sweet baby sister chilling with a stuffed gator......isn't she cute??


After our carriage ride, it was time for lunch (or at least a snack) so we thought......beignets.  Check out the line outside Cafe du Monde.  Holy buckets!!! 


So......we headed back to Cafe Beignet.  Our mission was to eat beignets every single day.  Did you hear me???  EVERY.  SINGLE.  DAY. 


After we loaded up on carbs, it was back to seeing the sights. 


There is absolutely nothing more beautiful than the buildings in New Orleans (except for my sweetie's face.....different story, different day). 





Besides making a solid commitment to a daily dose of beignets, remember our mission to hit every praline (pronounced:  praw'-leen) shop in the French Quarter.  The photos below were taken at my favorite one......Sugar & Spice.  I love love love the painted murals on all the walls. 



And the final praline shop.......


Beignets:  CHECK! 
Pralines:  CHECK! 
Now it was time to hit the fais deaux deaux ......


Then back to the hotel.





2 comments: