My family

My family

Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Food capital of the world

We woke up Thursday ready to hit the town!  There's nothing like a belly full of beignets to make you sleep like a baby.  :)
 
When I booked our travel to New Orleans, I knew Charlene would love to take a food tour.  Today was the day!  Although it was rainy and dreary, that wasn't going to stop us from enjoying all the food NOLA had to offer. 
 
Our tour started at the legendary Mike Serio's po boy shop.  OMG......the muffalettas are amazing!  I could take a bath in the olive spread they use on these suckers!!
 
 
 
Next up.....The Old Coffee Pot for gumbo.  Lord have mercy.....this was the best seafood gumbo I have ever tasted!!  Chef Will - the restaurant's executive chef - came out to say hello.  He was incredibly proud to have been featured on Guy Fieri's Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives
 
 
After tons of walking (and learning lots about the history of New Orleans), we made our next stop at Cafe Beignet.  This sweet little restaurant was built into the back of beautiful courtyard dedicated to the jazz musicians of Louisiana. 




My sweet sister was starting to tire out (so was the guy behind her apparently!).  She was such a trooper though.  We walked several miles by the end of the food tour. 

 
Let me take a minute to tell you that New Orleans is FULL of these damn sidewalk grates.  Since the city is below sea-level, they have a really strange system to keep water off the streets.  That's all fine and dandy but I AM TERRIFIED OF WALKING ON GRATES!!  Like so scared that I will walk a mile to avoid them. 
 
 
OK.....back to the good stuff.  The food tour ended at Laura's Praline Shop (the oldest candy shop in the city).  This place even made it through Hurricane Katrina!  Charlene and I decided to find every single praline shop in the French Quarter before we left. 
 
 
The photo below was taken in the "hidden" courtyard of our hotel.  I loved coming across these little pieces of Heaven. 
 

Of course.....



Jackson Square in the daytime (no rats spotted this day!).  I've got this thing about taking pictures of cathedrals and cemeteries.....strange but true.  This was is particular stunning!!
 
 

 
One of my favorite things about touring the city was spotting all the unique architecture.  From the hidden courtyards to the flamboyantly decked-out balconies, there was something beautiful everywhere we looked. 


 



The day ended with a trip to the fais deaux deaux (daiquiris to go!).  Who am I kidding......every day ended at the fais deaux deaux.....we were on vacation!!   There may have been some jumping on the bed after this daiquiri was consumed.  :)
 

 
All in all.......today was AMAZING!! 

2 comments:

  1. I would like to do this with yall one day

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to do this with yall one day

    ReplyDelete