My family

My family

Friday, May 20, 2016

Art2Heart

Several months ago, my hair stylist – Kelli at Urban Eve and I were chatting about the occasional stores in our area.  Kelli’s salon had just moved to a new location so she asked if I had ever gone “up the hill” to Hamel, MN to visit their boutiques. 
 
Just like that……a love affair was born!
 
After my appointment, I drove up the hill and found the sweetest little boutique called Art2Heart.  It just so happens that it was open late this night (the only night of the week!) so I went in to look around.  Terri the gal at the front desk – showed me around and filled me in on the store’s history.
 


Art2Heart is a nonprofit organization run completely by volunteers that helps fund charities in Minnesota as well as Haiti, Peru and other third world countries.  

As Terri told me the history behind each of the items for sale, I found myself completely in awe!  It took exactly .23 seconds for me to decide that this was something I needed to be a part of.  It felt like God had led me directly to this place.
 
Here are a few of the inspiring stories behind Art2Heart’s gift shop…..
 

 
These metal signs are made by an outreach program in Haiti.  They are cut (by hand!) from old oil drums.  Then a team of 4-5 young men hammer (by hand!) the raised/embossed letters.  They work barefoot in an unpaved parking lot without chairs/tables/desks.  The signs are sent back to Art2Heart to sell.  The profits go straight back into housing and education for the group of Haitians. 

  
The women in this photo live in Peru and are part of the Mostacillas De Fe organization.  They embroider/sew/knit/crochet everything from dolls to tote bags to scarves and sell them in the store. 
 

 
This is only a few of the outreach programs that Art2Heart leads to spread the love of Jesus Christ. 
 

 
The third Thursday of the month, Art2Heart hosts a Creative Night.  Jen Swift – one of the most talented, outgoing and beautiful women I’ve ever met – runs the program.  She is a true artist!  Her creative vision is simply amazing. 

  
The first Creative Night was in April and we made string art.   Jen leads the group in making the projects, then the items go onto the showroom floor for sale. 
 
It was so much fun! 
 
I’ve been looking for a place to be creative and meet new friends.  God knew that and took me straight to Art2Heart!
 
 
When I say that Jen Swift (Art2Heart’s creative go-to artist) is talented, I mean she is REALLY TALENTED!!  Like there’s nothing she can’t do.  I said those exact words to her last night.  Her sweet response was, “There are a few things I don’t know how to do but I’m going to figure out how to do them!”.
 

 
Last night at Creative Night, we made wind chimes with hand-me-down silverware, rusty fish hooks, beads, metal cupcake tins, etc. 
 

 
I wish the photo did the wind chime justice.  It is gorgeous!  J
 
I had a great time visiting with this wonderful group of women and was honored to have my creation put on display and the profits used for helping others. 
 

 
Speaking of my creations, the store asked if they could carry my signs on consignment!  Eeks!!! 
 
They loved the signs I had on Etsy and wanted 10-15 displayed in the store. 
 
Awesome, right?!  J 
 


 

A few weeks ago, I dropped off the first batch of signs. 
 
I have to admit……when I walked into the store last night and saw my signs on display, I started crying! 
 
I felt like I was right where I needed to be.
 
The consignment is a standard 60/40 structure.  Sixty percent of the proceeds to go MS and forty percent go to Art2Heart’s outreach missions. 
 
Win/win!!
 
I wish I could plug all of the inspiring stories into this post.  Check out the gorgeous things in the gift shop…..
 

 
Women make these bird cages by hand-bending industrial wire. 
 

 
Jen’s dad made the pallet signs above.  He used reclaimed barn wood and paints “For He so loved the world” on them.  He uses the profits to help fund an orphanage in India.
 
I could go on and on and on!  I’m just so excited to have found this special place and look forward to be a part of their mission.
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment