My family

My family

Thursday, October 20, 2011

AppleJacks Orchard

Some of Jim's favorite childhood memories center around apple trees.  He and his family used to visit an apple orchard in Michigan where they would eat piping hot cinnamon donuts and drink fresh apple cider.  As a southerner, I could never really picture that but I was so curious.


There are tons of apple orchards in Minnesota.  A fan favorite is AppleJacks in Delano....about 15 minutes from our home.  When Maci came to visit, we decided to check it out.  About five minutes into the drive, it felt like we had been transported to a northern countryside.  The Fall colors were so beautiful and there were so many lakes tucked into the scenery. 


AppleJacks has a huge family spread set up.  There is a live music tent with picnic tables for families, hayrides, corn maze, market, etc.  They had thought of everything.  I was so excited as we parked and started exploring. 





I had a mental image of what an apple orchard would look like:  towering trees brimming with apples, ladders on each tree for easy access to the fruit, rows and rows of nothing but apples.  That was partially right.  The biggest surprise for me was that the trees are so short.....8 ft at the tallest! 







There were several different varieties....Honey Crisp (my new favorite!), Gold, Haralson, Red Delicious.  Rows and rows of apples....all shapes & sizes.  Because we visited toward the end of the season, only the tops of the trees had apples left.  Thank goodness I married a big tall man!!


Speaking of those piping hot donuts.....oh man.....they were soooo yummy!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment