My family

My family

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Mary = Home

In Texas, we always knew we were almost home when we saw the Grand Prairie city lights heading west on I-20 just outside of Duncanville.  For as long as I can remember, when we saw those lights, my parents would say "we're home!".  I kept that tradition going with Garrett and Lanie.....to the point that they were the ones saying "we're home!" coming down that big hill.  :) 



There is one image that stands out for me just before we enter our new neighborhood in Minnesota.  In the fields just behind our subdivision is a huge statue of Mary.  It's pretty impressive, I have to say.  The land on which our homes were built used to be owned by a local Catholic church.  When they bought the land back in the day, they installed the statue for Mary to watch over the land.  Now there's a fire station, a fairly large neighborhood and a new private Catholic school being constructed.  One thing that stays the same, though, is Mary with her outstretched hands.

The first time I saw Mary, I felt welcome.  The statue has an almost calming effect.  Jim, the kids and I got into the habit of looking for Mary as we got closer to our new home.  I would look at the kids and say, "we're home!" but I could tell they weren't buying it.  As time has passed, it's almost become a joke.  The kids will say "we're at our Minnesota home!".....almost like they feel like they're betraying the Texas home.

Those feelings all changed one night when, as we were rounding the bend toward home (the Minnesota home, that is).  Jim looked out the driver's window at Mary and made the sign of the cross and then gave her a thumbs up sign.  It was so funny!!  Since then, he has added silly little gestures to the end of the ritual like blowing a kiss or a simple salute.  Every time, the kids and I get a chuckle out of it. :)

It's taken a little time adjusting to Minnesota but it's getting easier.  I miss my family every day - some days more than others.  The kids miss their family (especially Kevin) and their friends.  The new friends they are making are easing that a little.  There aren't near as many meltdowns as we thought there would be.  



Back to Mary......Garrett and Maci decided to take a walk and check out the statue up close.  Surprisingly, Mary wasn't as tall as she looks from the road.  I thought she was at least 10 feet tall.  Nope, Garrett took his picture next to her and, if he was standing on the pedestal, they would be the same height.  


Mary remains the symbol of our new home.  It's nice to have a constant in our ever-changing lives.  Mary might not be as awesome as the city lights of good ole Grand Prairie but we are thankful for her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment